Access to the Special Collections and South Carolina Historical Society Archives Reading Room
The Special Collections and the South Carolina Historical Society Archives Reading Room is now open by appointment only. Appointment options and procedures may change as institutional policies develop, best practices continue to emerge, or where circumstances merit adjustments.
- All in-person research will be by appointment only. Walk-in appointments will not be permitted.
- To be eligible for conducting research on-site, patrons must have proof current status as a:
- College of Charleston student, faculty member, or staff person
- South Carolina Historical Society member
- College of Charleston Friends of the Library member
- Occupancy in the Reading Room will be limited to two researchers at any given time
- To submit a request for research or an on-site appointment, contact Special Collections at https://speccoll.cofc.edu/about/contact-us/.
Special Collections will be offering enhanced virtual services for the Spring 2021 semester. The Special Collections Research Services Desk will be staffed online at http://answers.library.cofc.edu/speccoll/ Monday – Friday from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm with a midday break between noon and 1:00. Staff are also available via telephone (843-953-8016) and email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
We welcome inquiries from all users, regardless of affiliation. Researchers can get in touch with Special Collections’ reference professionals using the Ask Us form on our website. College of Charleston students, faculty, and staff can schedule a research consultation with a faculty archivist here: http://libcal.library.cofc.edu/appointments.