8 St. Michael’s Alley, Charleston, SC 29401
Constructed in 1848
This was the law office of James Louis Petigru, a staunch unionist and defender of the rights of free persons of color. Born in Abbeville, South Carolina, James L. Petigru relocated to Charleston in 1819 and began practicing law. After his residence on Legare Street burned in the fire of 1861, Petigru and his wife relocated to 8 St. Michael’s alley.