52-54 Pitt Street Charleston, SC 29401
This is the site of the Brown Fellowship and MacPhelah Society cemeteries. The Brown Fellowship Society, founded in 1790, was the most elite organization in town for members of the free black community, with a limited number of memberships open and a high entry fee. Here they buried their dead. The north portion of the lot, fenced from the Brown Fellowship Society, was the MacPhelah Society cemetery. The history of the Society, spelled various ways, named for Machpelah, the burial cave of the Patriarchs in the Old Testament, is unclear, but free people of color along with others were laid to rest here. The societies sold their cemeteries in the 20th century and human remains were found when the College of Charleston broke ground for Addlestone Library. A monument to the history of the site on Rivers Green, was dedicated in 2008.